Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"A Little Funny Word Wisdom"
I have learned something very vital during my pregnancy about what to say to other fellow pregnant momma's. Which is to say..... absolutely NOTHING. I have compiled a list below of "what not to say to a pregnant momma". All of these comments have been said to me at some point or another and I am sure many of you prego momma's out there can relate to them as well. I hope this will be a good laugh for you and a learning experience for anyone else that might be reading this as well. I have included In parenthesis what my response in my head was to these comments, though not communicated out loud.  So here goes...

Things Not To Say To A Prego Momma:


1. "You don't look pregnant" ("well I have definitely gained weight, so what your saying is, I'm fat"). 
2. "All of this sickness is worth it in the end" ("thank you Captain Obvious you are only the 100th person to tell me  the exact same thing, and so far I am still feeling sick").
3. "So the diet's not working" ("its just an elderly man who is trying to make a joke Bethany, walk away, walk away").
4. "Oh your in your second trimester? Well then you should be feeling better" ( "thank you for making me feel like a weirdo since I am in fact not feeling better").
5. "Oh you can finally tell your showing now....there goes the figure right?" ("and there goes my last thread of confidence").
6. "You must be having a..." or "I think it's a....", or "I hope it's a..." ("So much pressure. okay peeps thank you for your votes. But next time, unless I ask you, lets just see what happens").


These are but a few of the lovely comments I have received that are simply better left unsaid. Number 4 & 6 might not be so bad in moderation, but that does not exist in my world. I do want to go on record saying that I realize all of these comments were given by people that truly care about me and were simply trying to say something to help. I have simply had to make light of the comments in my head so that I don't burst into tears in my crazy emotional state (that for another post). So what is a good thing to do or say to a prego mamma? Give her a hug, tell her she looks great, ask her if she needs anything etc. Feel free to ask questions just don't feel free to put in your two cents unless asked.  

4 comments:

  1. You are sooooo stinking funny, and right!!!
    Love you,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Yes and Yes!!!! THese are all very true. Although I think I did say #1 to you...meaning that you look so much smaller than some of us who looked as though 1-2 watermellons may have been swallowed whole. ANd I waddled (David was kind enough to point out that I walked like a penguin) :) Love you Bethany!!
    _Michelle Little

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably said one of these to you, so... I'm sorry! And... I should know better! But hopefully you forgive me now that I have been subjected to the same. :) xoxo Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's also super fun when you've already had the baby and people ask you when you're due.... Love the blog :)

    ReplyDelete